Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Sassy and Uncle Vail

Sassy, while playful and eating again, continues to lose weight.  She is in the mid-stages of renal failure.  For 17 years old she is doing okay.  Nothing for renal failure but to keep her comfortable and happy. Maybe a few months.

Life goes on one sunrise/sunset at a time.

Last Thursday afternoon's post was probably a bit of a downer to read. That day my Uncle Vail laid down to take a nap on his couch.  He didn't wake-up.

We gathered in Nebraska to say our good-byes and celebrate the joy and sorrows of life with shared stories, songs, tears and oh so many needed hugs. Today, Uncle Vail's body will be tucked in next to his parents and sister Eunice in the family cemetary in Dumont, Iowa. Rest in peace, Uncle Vail.

Life goes on one sunrise/sunset at a time.

In my email this morning I received another round of rejections. Layoffs at the plant began on Friday and it was difficult for me to let my crew go.  Each person's reaction was a lesson in dealing with life in these hard times. My own layoff is imminent: tonight, tomorrow? 

When it happens I'll finish the unpacking, enjoy soup with a friend, talk about my Advent explorations over coffee with my pastor/friend, window shop and laugh with Aunt Val, locate the Christmas decorations and quilt gifts for friends as I plot out the next steps of living the dream. 

Life goes on one sunrise/sunset at a time.

For today I have a job to prepare for -- Sassafras the wonder cat is curled up between my arms and the keyboard purring away as we listen to the dryer tumbling, the coffee pot dripping and smell the bean soup simmering in the crock pot. Almost time for a quick nap before showering and heading to the plant.

Yep. Today is a good day.

Let's let tomorrow take care of itself as we move through life one sunrise/sunset at a time.



1 comment:

KJ said...

Great Advice. One sunrise/sunset at a time.