Saturday, June 29, 2013

Three Clicks



Woke to find a cool summer morning waiting for me on the front porch. After a few cat chores, I took my cup of coffee out to watch the sky lighten and look for that strong work-ethic wood-pecker.

Earlier this week I found the perfect small table to hold my coffee thermos as I sit on the porch - and it was on sale! Been thinking of having a more comfy chair - maybe a rocker? Or a glider? But I admit to being fairly selfish with my front porch time and wouldn't want to encourage interlopers. Well, maybe my Aunt Val.

Brushing my teeth earlier, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.  I am aging. It makes me smile even now thinking about it. Budding arthritis, a few more gray hairs and I think I have my mother's hands (still with my grandma's crooked pinky!). Yep, I like this getting older part. Having another day behind me and another day ahead of me. Feels right. What slipped into my thought process was that as I age, so does my Aunt Val and even the whisper of that thought kinda catches my breath.

The front porch light is out and I keep meaning to drag the ladder out and change it. Last night I was grateful for my forgetfulness as I decided to sit out on the porch and listen to the night without being pestered by bugs flocking to the light for heat in the cooling air as it rained. As a kid it was stifling hot even late into the night, so us kids would spread out on the front porch hoping for a slight breeze. We'd talk quietly or not at all. Listening to the cicadas, the muffled traffic and the odd bit of TV floating out an open window in the neighborhood. So hot not even a dog stirred. It was summer. Tomorrow was full of possibilities: swimming pool, bookmobile, swinging at the park...

Well, this weekend is full of possibilities with not a moment to spare, including spending time this morning with two of my dearest friends and tomorrow checking out the newest Harlan woman who turns 1 month in a few days. But first, I think I will pour another cup of coffee and write a letter. To my Aunt Val. 

There really is no place like home.

Enjoy your summer day.

1 comment:

Kali said...

That's a great photo of the Grandma…